|Date||12 Sep 2017 to 13 Sep 2017|
|Venue||Nepal Engineer’s Association Building, Pulchowk, Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Contact Persons||Rajesh Thapa|
The Robotics Association of Nepal (RAN) and the Nepal Telecommunication Authority (NTA), in partnership with the United States Embassy in Nepal and the International Centre for Mountain Development (ICIMOD), are jointly organizing the Miss Tech 2017 programme.
Miss Tech 2017 is a national mass collaboration focused on developing women technopreneurs and will try to addresses issues faced by women in Nepali society, with the theme “Mountain Women: Transformational Change Through Technology”. The programme will embrace collaborative problem solving with the goal of producing relevant solutions to address the needs applicable of women living in mountain areas. A two-day hackathon will focus on addressing the following challenge statements across five challenge categories: Occupation, Migration, Violence, Social Status, and Information.
- Disseminating information for mountain ecotourism
- Improving mountain farming through information technology
- Promoting trade for mountain products
- Generating awareness of women’s health
- Reporting gender based violence in the mountains
RAN is leading this national collaboration along with a number of government and non-government collaborators, including around 10 local organizations working for women’s empowerment.
Miss Tech 2017, currently in its second iteration, is supported by the US Embassy in Nepal under its girls in tech programme and ICIMOD through its SERVIR Hindu Kush Himalaya (SERVIR-HKH) programme. ICIMOD hosts the SERVIR-HKH regional hub and is part of the global SERVIR network—a joint development programme of USAID and NASA.
- At least three winning teams working with supporters or communities for further development of prototypes developed during the hackathon.
- Increased participation of women in engineering/information technology and organizations working for women’s empowerment in the mountains.
- At least 16 prototypes/products addressing the challenges faced by mountain women.
- At least three projects ready for business startup/incubation.