Frequent transformative developments in the fields of Earth observation (EO) and geospatial information technology (GIT) build more possibilities in the fields of spatial sciences, natural resource management, landscape mapping, and strategic planning and decision making. Although women play a vital role in environmental management and decision making, their engagement and participation in the EO/GIT workforce is very low in Asia, especially in the countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) region.
In this context, the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) has been organizing the “Empowering women in geospatial information technology” training under its SERVIR Hindu Kush Himalaya (SERVIR-HKH) Initiative for the past three years. In its eighth iteration and in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this intensive four-day course is being offered online to eligible women in Bhutan.
The training will cover a wide range of topics, including principles of geographic information system (GIS), basic concepts of remote sensing (RS), image calculation and spectral indices and mapping using open-source tools, forest cover change analysis and drought monitoring etc to solve emerging environmental problems. The training will be delivered using a blended learning approach – presentations and guided practical exercises.
This training aims to train young women from Bhutan on the use of EO data and GIT, empowering and encouraging them to consider careers in GIT and its applications. This will support ICIMOD's efforts to bridge the gender gap in the GIT field.
Upon completion of the training, the participants will have a better understanding of the concepts and applications of GIS and RS, which will enable them to use the knowledge gained professionally.
A total of 30 young women participants with an academic background in the fields of geography, science, engineering, survey, environmental science and/or information technology are expected to participate in this training.
Interested candidates may apply using the application form available at: www.icimod.org/wogit
The deadline for the submission of applications is 9 July 2021. Selected candidates will be informed via email by 16 July 2021.
- This training is for women from Bhutan
- Applicants should have completed a bachelor's degree or be enrolled in a university-level curriculum at the time of application
- Attendance in the training is free
- Selected candidates must ensure the following:
- Access to a computer with the Windows operating system installed
- Ability to install and run open-source GIS software
- Access to good internet connection to support audio/video lectures
- Be available to attend the sessions from 09:00–17:00 (BTT)
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion upon satisfactory completion of the training
- Questions regarding selection and/or participation will not be entertained
All time stamps are in Bhutan Standard Time (BTT)
- Pre-training preparation – 26 July 2021
Familiarization with Microsoft Teams
Installation of QGIS
- Day 1 – 27 July 2021
- Day 2 – 28 July 2021
- Day 3 – 29 July 2021
- Day 4 – 30 July 2021