Frequent transformative developments in the fields of Earth observation (EO) and geospatial information technology (GIT) build more possibilities in the fields of spatial sciences, natural resource management, landscape mapping, and strategic planning and decision making. Although women play a vital role in environmental management and decision making, their engagement and participation in the EO/GIT workforce is very low in Asia, especially in the countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) region.
In this context, the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) has been organizing the “Empowering women in geospatial information technology” training under its SERVIR Hindu Kush Himalaya (SERVIR-HKH) Initiative for the past three years. The training course, extended exclusively to young women from Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bhutan, and Bangladesh, provides them with theoretical and practical knowledge on the use of EO data and GIT using real-world examples from the HKH region. In its ninth iteration and in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this intensive four-day course is being offered online to eligible women in Bangladesh.
The training will cover a wide range of topics, including principles of geographic information system (GIS), basic concepts of remote sensing (RS), GIS data use and visualization, geoprocessing and analytical query, remote sensing image interpretation and mapping, calculation of spectral indices, map production, flood inundation mapping and damage assessment using open-source tools. In this training, we will also cover demonstration of Bangladesh specific applications from the initiative. The training will be delivered using a blended learning approach – presentations and guided practical exercises.
This training aims to train young women from Bangladesh on the use of EO data and GIT, empowering and encouraging them to consider careers in GIT and its applications. This will support ICIMOD's efforts to bridge the gender gap in the GIT field.
Upon completion of the training, the participants will have a better understanding of the concepts and applications of GIS and RS, which will enable them to use the knowledge gained professionally.
Interested candidates may apply using the application form available at: www.icimod.org/wogit
The deadline for the submission of applications is 6 August 2021. Selected candidates will be informed via email by 13 August 2021.
- This training is for women from Bangladesh
- Applicants should have completed a bachelor's degree or be enrolled in a university-level curriculum at the time of application
- Attendance in the training is free
- Selected candidates must ensure the following:
- Access to a computer with the Windows operating system installed
- Ability to install and run open-source GIS software
- Access to good internet connection to support audio/video lectures
- Be available to attend the sessions from 09:00–17:00 (BST)
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion upon satisfactory completion of the training
- Questions regarding selection and/or participation will not be entertained
All time stamps are in Bangladesh Standard Time (BST)