The SERVIR-Hindu Kush Himalaya (SERVIR-HKH) Initiative works to enhance the ability of national governments, local institutions and partners, and other key stakeholders to apply Earth observation and geospatial technologies and analysis on key thematic areas. A joint development initiative of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), SERVIR’s efforts are directed towards making countries better able to achieve self-reliance with more resilient outcomes by integrating the best available information in development decision-making processes.
SERVIR-HKH has specific priorities supported by USAID-Afghanistan to support the Government of Afghanistan’s efforts in capacity development, data accessibility and availability, and enhancing provision of user-tailored data and tools for decision making in a sustainable manner. In partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL), SERVIR-HKH has been working on a number of applications related to agriculture, water resources, and natural resource management.
About the workshop
This two-day dissemination workshop will present finalized systems – the National Land Cover Monitoring System (NLCMS), the Rangeland Monitoring System, and the Watershed Characterization System – to key partners and stakeholders.
- Provide an orientation on the use of the web-based information systems
- Present the methodology for the NLCMS and present the annual land cover maps of Afghanistan (2000–2018) for stakeholder review
- Demonstrate the web-based NLCMS and its data visualization capabilities
- Present the Rangeland Monitoring System and the Watershed Characterization System and associated study results in Afghanistan
- Identify areas for additional support and means for continuity of rangeland and watershed characterization activities in Afghanistan
The workshop is expected to bring together representatives from key partner institutions working in the area of natural resources, land cover, and related fields. The workshop will include presentations on the methodologies, data, and orientation of the applications. Contributions and feedback from the participants will be useful for planning future enhancement of the systems and strengthening partnerships.
- Pre-launch of the annual land cover maps of Afghanistan (2000–2018) for stakeholder review
- Watershed characterization and rangeland monitoring systems in Afghanistan
- Presentation of the NLCMS approach, methodology, and results – Mir Matin, Theme Leader, Geospatial Solutions, ICIMOD
- Presentation on watershed characterization – Mohammad Sharif Jalalzai, GIS & RS Expert, ICIMOD, and Waheedullah Yousafi, Technical Coordinator, SERVIR-HKH Afghanistan, ICIMOD
- Presentation on Rangeland Monitoring System – Faisal M Qamer, RS Specialist, ICIMOD