|Date||25–28 June 2019|
|Venue||ICIMOD, Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Programmes||Mountain Environment Regional Information Systems (MENRIS), SERVIR-HKH|
Frequent disruptive innovations in the fields of Earth observation (EO) and geospatial information technology (GIT) are creating more opportunities in the fields of spatial sciences, natural resource management, landscape mapping, smart planning, and decision making. Despite the vital role of women in environmental management and decision making, their involvement and participation in the EO/GIT workforce is very low in Asia, particularly in the Hindu Kush Himalayan (HKH) countries.
Consequently, the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) will conduct a four-day training on "Empowering Women in Geospatial Information Technology"; at its headquarters in Kathmandu, Nepal, under its SERVIR Hindu Kush Himalaya (SERVIR-HKH) Initiative. In its second iteration, this training will advance the initiative's efforts towards encouraging women's participation and capacity building in EO/GIT, helping achieve gender balance in this field in the region.
This training course will bring young women from Nepal together to provide them with theoretical as well as hands-on exercises on the use of EO data and GIT. This will cover a wide range of topics, including EO for societal benefits, GIT applications in the HKH, concepts of remote sensing and geographic information science (GIS), gender perspectives in GIT, women in science, GIS operations, and mapping using open source tools to solve emerging environmental problems.
This training aims to train young women from Nepal on the use of EO data and GIT, empowering and encouraging them to consider careers in GIT and its applications. This will support ICIMOD's efforts to bridge the gender gap in the GIT field.
Upon completion of the training, the participants will have a better understanding about the concepts and general applications of EO data and GIT.
About 30 young women participants with technical knowledge in the fields of engineering, geography, science, survey, computer science, or information technology are expected to participate in this training. Interested candidates may apply for participation using the application form available at this link.
- The deadline for submission of applications is 5 June 2019. Selected candidates will be intimated via email by 10 June 2019.
- Applicants should have completed a bachelor's degree or be enrolled in a university-level curriculum at the time of application.
- This training is for women only.
- Attendance is free. However, the organizers will not provide travel support for attending this training.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion upon satisfactory completion of the training.
- Questions regarding selection and/or participation will not be entertained.